MIDDLE SCHOOL ADVISORY
AN ADVISOR'S ROLE IS TO:
- Assist students with their adjustment to the school or to the grade.
- Support students and assist them in creating a balance between school life and professional obligations.
- Help students to strategize and problem solve.
- Teach students how to communicate with their peers and teachers.
- Strategize with teachers and students about the best way to address concerns.
- Provide opportunities for leadership.Facilitate a positive environment for learning and engagement.
PURPOSE OF ADVISORY
Our Advisory program serves to support students as they navigate the academic and developmental changes of middle school; providing guidance and serving as a resource when issues arise. The expectation is that we will build a community of thoughtful individuals who care about their academics, their personal well-being and who care for others.
Groups are made up of students from various grade levels in order to facilitate community and learning from one another. We work together towards team building, self-advocacy, ownership of learning and community service. An advisory period is built into the weekly schedule and provides an opportunity to touch base with students about organization, test taking, and planning ahead. It is also a time for students to reflect on their successes and challenges. An emphasis on character education and community building helps guide these discussions.